New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
The Devil, Heresy and Witchcraft in the Middle Ages: Essays in Honor of Jeffrey B. Russell (New)
by Ferreiro, Alberto
Publisher: Brill Academic Publishers
Binding: Hardcover with dust jacket
Book ID: 9789004106109, 9004106103
Usually available in 3-5 days
The study of heresy and heterodoxy and of belief in magic, witchcraft and the devil has in the past 25 years made significant advances in our understanding of art and iconography, ideas, mentality and belief, and ordinary life and popular imagination in the patristic and medieval periods. At the forefront of research into this aspect of medieval intellectual history has been Jeffrey B. Russell, whose numerous books and articles have opened important new paths in the field. To mark his retirement 17 established and emerging scholars from Europe and North America - historians of art, the church, religions, and ideas - have contributed papers on the many areas which Russell has influenced. Topics dealt with include elves, the Christians apocrypha, mysticism, sexuality, heresies and heresiologies, apocalyptic tracts, astrology, hell, and other Christian encounters with non-believers. These essays are offered as tribute to the deep impact that Russel has had on medieval studies. Contributors include: Alan Bernstein, Richard Emmerson, Alberto Ferreiro, Neil Forsyth, Abraham Friessen, Karen Jolly, Henry Ansgar Kelly, Richard Kieckhefer, Beverly M. Kienzle, Garry Macy, Bernard McGinn, Edward Peters, Cheryl Rigs, Larry J. Simon, Laura Smoller, Catherine B. Tkacz, and John Tolan.
Table of Contents
- List of Contributors
- Hospitals and Poor Relief in Ramon Llull s Majorca -- Larry J. Simon
- Elves in the Psalms? The Experience of Evil from a Cosmic Perspective -- Karen Louise Jolly
- Simon Magus, Dogs and Simon Peter -- Alberto Ferreiro
- Avenging the Blood of Children: Anxiety over Child Victims and the Origins of the European Witch Trials -- Richard Kieckhefer
- Teaching and Preaching Confession in Thirteenth-Century Paris -- Alan E. Bernstein
- Destruction of the Flesh - Salvation of the Spirit: The Paradoxes of Torture in Medieval Christian Society -- Edward Peters
- Prophecy and Order: Mysticism and Medieval Cosmologies in the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries -- Cheryl A. Riggs
- Medieval Heretics or Forerunners of the Reformation: The Protestant Rewriting of the History of Medieval Heresy -- Abraham Friesen
- Cosmic and Sexual Love in Renaissance Thought: Reflectioins on Marsilio Ficino, Giovanni Pico della Mirandola, and Leone Ebreo - Bernard McGinn
- The Alfonsine Tables and the End of the World: Astrology and Apocalyptic Calculation in the Later Middle Ages -- Laura Smoller
- Satan: Making a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven -- Neil Forsyth
- Holiness and Obedience: Denouncement of Twelfth-Century Waldensian Lay Preaching -- Beverly Mayne Kienzle
- Lollard Inquisitions: Due and Undue Process -- Henry Ansgar Kelly
- "Englysch Laten" and "Franch": Language as Sign of Evil in Medieval English Drama -- Richard K. Emmerson
- Heaven and Fallen Angels in Old English -- Catherine Brown Tkacz
- Peter the Venerable on the "Diabolical Heresy of the Saracens," -- John Tolan
- Nicolas Eymeric and the Condemnation of Orthodoxy -- Garry Macy
Treading the Mill: Workings in Traditional Witchcraft (Revised and expanded)
Pearson, Nigel G
In Treading the Mill
, Suffolk witch Nigel Pearson presents an extensive and thorough exploration of the working ways of the modern traditional witch, including Compass rites, directional virtues, tools & their hallowing, spellcrafting, wortcunning, transvection, spirit familiars, faerie lore, the old gods, self-dedication and much more.More
Tarot Sola Busca: Ferrara XV Century
One of the oldest tarot decks ever created, the Tarot Sola Busca
is known for its alchemical symbolism and for having inspired many of the minor arcana of the Rider Waite Smith deck. The first entry in Lo Scarabeo's new Anima Antiqua
series (Ancient Soul), this deck has been lovingly printed with great care from originals found in the greatest collections of rare tarot decks. This is a limited-edition, numbered deck printed on the highest quality stock.
The companion booklets f...
The Complete Mystical Records of Dr. John Dee: Transcribed from the 16th-Century Manuscripts Documen
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
A lavishly packaged, two-volume box set containing the most faithful and accurate versions of John Dee's journals ever published. This is a must-have treasure for Dee aficionados and esoteric scholars who absolutely need the most meticulously detailed version of these highly influential works. A labor of love twenty years in the making, these volumes include transcripts of four manuscripts from the British Library and one from the Bodleian Library in Oxford. Two of these manuscripts have never b...More
Jim Maynard's Celestial Influences 2018: Pacific Time (9" x 12")
is an essential astrological reference. It is the best astrological calendar available. It opens to 12 x 18 inches. The zodiac months are highlighted with a colored tint and the zodiac illustrations are in full color.
12 x 9 inches, 48 pages, full-color cover, full-color illustrations.
Deconstructing Gurdjieff: Biography of a Spiritual Magician
Inner Traditions / Bear & Company
In November 1949, architect Frank Lloyd Wright announced the death of "the greatest man in the world," yet few knew who he was talking about. Enigmatic, misunderstood, declared a charlatan, and recently dubbed "the Rasputin who inspired Mary Poppins," Gurdjieff's life has become a legend. But who really was George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?
Employing the latest research and discoveries, including previously unpublished reminiscences of the real man, Tobias Churton investigates the truth beneath th...