New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Occult Traditions (New)
by Lycourinos, Damon (ed)
Book ID: 9780987158130, 0987158139
Occult Traditions is the manifestation of the endeavours of scholars and practitioners alike exploring and challenging both historical and contemporary perspectives on the occult arts and sciences. The title of this book serves as a testimony for the occult acting as a designation of currents and traditions of esoteric philosophy, and magic as a participatory worldview manipulated as an instrument by the active person through the execution of the art and science of ritual, which is an extension grounded in the belief in magical powers within the self and other.
Each page bears witness to aspects of occult traditions, which are in essence simultaneously meta-historical and dynamic, serving as an overall ordering force in service of the principles of the arcane correspondences that exist between the microcosm and the macrocosm.
This book is an awakening to the occult reality that since the dawn of ages men and women have sought a glimpse of gn sis within the awesome natural performance of ritual, the slithering flow of the elements, the sensational sounds of the spheres, the iconic form of dreams undreamt and now awoken, the irrational whispering of mystical verses, the silence of contemplation, and the passion drenched erotic thirst for life, death, and rebirth. Unlike the priesthood of sterile logic and doctrinal faith, these men and women have been a visible representation of spiritual virility, of the human condition, and many times the romantic ethos, which many have convicted as an antinomian ethos, refusing, adapting, and also enchanting the dictates of conventional society, morality, and metaphysical culture. Thus, Occult Traditions invites the reader to journey along with the authors and conjurors, who have been generous enough to share their visions and gestures in this book, through various traditions relating to distinct historical developments, unique occult philosophies, and potent ritual practice.
Here the reader shall encounter summoning magical assistants and the presence of the mystery traditions in the Greek Magical Papyri; deification through the arcane process of drowning in the Greek Magical Papyri; an exploration of occult theology as a continuation of Neoplatonism; a historical analysis of the grimoire traditions and a search for the original source of the Key of Solomon; the Icelandic tradition of magic as presented in an eighteenth century grimoire; a comparative analysis of medieval and Renaissance angel magic; Canaanite views of death and necromancy; an exploration of the use and attributes of incenses throughout history; a consideration of the science of divining the will of the gods; Seth as god of chaos and equilibrium; Julius Evola's ideas concerning the formula of sex, magic, and power; Buddhist 'wizards' at war in Thailand; a critical examination of the role of sex, magic, and initiation in the Wiccan Great Rite; the dynamics of altering consciousness within the spiral maze of Wiccan ritual; a restoration of the Rite of the Headless One from the Greek Magical Papyri; the elements of being and becoming in Conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel; the Eucharistic Feast of Agathodaimon; the Rite of the Solar and Lunar Mysteries of the Altar of Eros for the Consecration of the Talismans of Helios and Selene; the Calling and Adoration of Aion, and the Spell of the Mystic Flame; and finally the Hymnic Adoration and Invocation of Thoth, to whom this book belongs, as He is lord of magic and scribe of the gods.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Gwendolyn Toynton
- Introduction by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Conjuring Magical Assistants in the Greek Magical Papyri" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "The Spell of Pnouthis as a Mystery Rite in the Greek Magical Papyri" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Waters Animating and Annihilating Apotheosis by Drowning in the Greek Magical Papyri" by Aaron Cheak
- "The Hierarchical Cosmos Occult Theology as a Direct Continuation of Neoplatonism" by Christopher A. Plaisance
- "From Roots to Fruits: A History of the Grimoire Tradition" by David Rankine
- "A Source of the Key of Solomon - The Magic Treatise or Hygromancy, or Epistle to Rehoboam" by Ioannis Marathakis
- "The Icelandic Tradition of Magic: Analysis of a Late-Eighteenth Century Icelandic Galdrabók" by Christopher A. Smith
- "From Conjuror to Philosopher: A Comparative Analysis of Medieval and Renaissance Angel Magic" by Christopher A. Plaisance
- "Dining with the Dead: A Canaanite View of Death and Necromancy" by Tess Dawson
- "Composite Incenses and Incense Attributions: A Historical Survey" by Ioannis Marathakis
- "The Science of Omens: Divining the Will of the Gods" by Gwendolyn Toynton
- "Seth, the Red One of Chaos and Equilibrium" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Evolian Sex, Magic, and Power" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Wizards at War: Buddhism and the Occult in Thailand" by Gwendolyn Toynton
- "Woman was the Altar: The Wiccan Great Rite: Sex, Tea, and Religion" by Sorita d’Este
- "Treading the Spiral Maze: Changing Consciousness in Wiccan Ritual" by Melissa Harrington
- "Akephalos Being an Attempted Restoration of the Rite of the Headless One, according to the Stele of Jeu the Hieroglyphist" by Matthew Levi Stevens
- "The Holy Guardian Angel: A Golden Thread in the Tapestry of Being and Becoming" by Companion Abraxas
- "The Eucharistic Feast of Agathodaimon" by Companion Abraxas
- "The Rite of the Solar and Lunar Mysteries of the Altar of Eros for the Consecration of the Talismans of Helios and Selene" by "Damon"
- "The Calling and Adoration of Aion, and the Spell of the Mystic Flame" by "Damon"
- "The Hymnic Adoration and Invocation of Thoth” by "Damon"
Treading the Mill: Workings in Traditional Witchcraft (Revised and expanded)
Pearson, Nigel G
In Treading the Mill
, Suffolk witch Nigel Pearson presents an extensive and thorough exploration of the working ways of the modern traditional witch, including Compass rites, directional virtues, tools & their hallowing, spellcrafting, wortcunning, transvection, spirit familiars, faerie lore, the old gods, self-dedication and much more.More
Deconstructing Gurdjieff: Biography of a Spiritual Magician
Inner Traditions / Bear & Company
In November 1949, architect Frank Lloyd Wright announced the death of "the greatest man in the world," yet few knew who he was talking about. Enigmatic, misunderstood, declared a charlatan, and recently dubbed "the Rasputin who inspired Mary Poppins," Gurdjieff's life has become a legend. But who really was George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?
Employing the latest research and discoveries, including previously unpublished reminiscences of the real man, Tobias Churton investigates the truth beneath th...
Jim Maynard's Celestial Influences 2018: Pacific Time (9" x 12")
is an essential astrological reference. It is the best astrological calendar available. It opens to 12 x 18 inches. The zodiac months are highlighted with a colored tint and the zodiac illustrations are in full color.
12 x 9 inches, 48 pages, full-color cover, full-color illustrations.
The Complete Mystical Records of Dr. John Dee: Transcribed from the 16th-Century Manuscripts Documen
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
A lavishly packaged, two-volume box set containing the most faithful and accurate versions of John Dee's journals ever published. This is a must-have treasure for Dee aficionados and esoteric scholars who absolutely need the most meticulously detailed version of these highly influential works. A labor of love twenty years in the making, these volumes include transcripts of four manuscripts from the British Library and one from the Bodleian Library in Oxford. Two of these manuscripts have never b...More
Tarot Sola Busca: Ferrara XV Century
One of the oldest tarot decks ever created, the Tarot Sola Busca
is known for its alchemical symbolism and for having inspired many of the minor arcana of the Rider Waite Smith deck. The first entry in Lo Scarabeo's new Anima Antiqua
series (Ancient Soul), this deck has been lovingly printed with great care from originals found in the greatest collections of rare tarot decks. This is a limited-edition, numbered deck printed on the highest quality stock.
The companion booklets f...