New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Ibn Ezra: The Beginning of Wisdom (New)
by Epstein, Meira
Publisher: ARHAT (Robert Hand)
Book ID: 9780966226645, 096622664X
Meira Epstein, Translator, with annotations by Meira Epstein and Robert Hand. Translated from the original Hebrew
The Beginning of Wisdom is a one of the most important of the basic medieval texts of astrology. Originally written in Hebrew by Ibn Ezra it was translated into old French by Hagin de Juif and thence into Latin by Peter of Abano among others. It served as the backbone to an extensive and quite complete textbook of astrology by Ibn Ezra which which also included The Book of Reasons, The Book of Nativities and others which we expect to have from Ms. Epstein over the next few years.
We can do no better to summarize the contents of Ibn Ezra's books than to give you Ibn Ezra's own introduction to The Beginning of Wisdom.
Ibn Ezra's Introduction to The Beginning of Wisdom:
The beginning of wisdom is the fear of God, for it is the instruction. For when a man does not follow his eyes and heart to fulfill his [worldly] desire, then wisdom will rest in him. Moreover, the fear of God will protect him from the laws and ordinances of the heavens all the days of his life, and when his soul separates from his body, it (the fear of God) will endow him with eternity and he shall live forever. So, here I shall begin to interpret the laws of the heavens according to the rules as practiced by the ancients, generation after generation, and after I complete this book I shall compose a book of interpretation of the reasons, and to God I shall pray for help, amen.
This Book Is Divided into Ten Chapters.
168 Pages Perfect-bound Paper
- The first chapter [deals with] the form of the wheel, its parts, its signs and its images, the seven planets, their elevation, their strength, their motion, and their rulership.
- The second chapter [deals with] the influence of the signs, their ascension, their effect, the co-mixture of the [fixed] stars, and the images.
- The third chapter [deals with] the aspects of the degrees, the influence of the quadrants of the wheel, and the twelve houses.
- The fourth chapter [deals with] the nature of the seven planets, their influence, and whatever they indicate for all that are created on Earth.
- The fifth chapter [deals with] the planets, when their power increases, and when it diminishes [based on their house position and aspects].
- The sixth chapter [deals with] the strength of the planets themselves [based on their orbital motion and position], and [also] according to their position before the Sun or after it.
- The seventh chapter [deals with] the aspects of the planets and their conjunctions, their co-mixture, their separation, and the general rules regarding the mixture of their powers with one another, and all that these indicate.
- The eighth chapter [deals with] the judgment of the planets in inquiries, nativities, and revolutions.
- The ninth chapter [deals with] the lots of the planets, the lots of the houses, and all other lots that astrologers have mentioned.
- The tenth chapter [deals with] the orb of light of the seven planets, the way they are directed, and their translation over the degrees of the wheel, and what these indicate in general.
- Every learned [person] who investigates this science can observe the motion of the seven planets, that they are faster in their motion than their motion in the superior wheel, their motion in their [own] spheres against the superior stars which are in the wheel of the zodiac, and all the motions around the solid, which is the Earth, like the point inside the circle. Then one will realize that although these motions are even and direct, their effect will vary according to the regions. This is known from the number of degrees of the wheel, its left (northern) and southern images (signs), and the knowledge of the seven planets, their nature -- general and particular -- and all their actions.
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
The House of Owls
Yale University Press
For a quarter century, Tony Angell and his family shared the remarkable experience of closely observing pairs of western screech owls that occupied a nesting box outside their forest home. The journals the author recorded his observations in, and the captivating drawings he created, form the heart of this compelling book a personal account of an artist-naturalist s life with owls. Angell s extensive illustrations show owls engaged in what owls do hunting, courting, raising families, and exercisi...More
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More