New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Esotericism, Art, and Imagination (New)
by Versluis, Arthur (ed)
Publisher: Michigan State University Press
Book ID: 9780870138195, 0870138197
Please inquire for availability
Esotericism, Art, and Imagination is a uniquely wide-ranging collection of articles by scholars in the field of Western esotericism, focusing on themes of poetry, drama, film, literature, and art. Included here are articles illuminating such diverse topics as the Gnostic fiction of Philip Pullman, alchemical images, the Tarot, surrealism, esoteric films, and much more. This collection reveals the richness and complexity of the intersections between esotericism, artistic creators, and their works. Authors include Joscelyn Godwin, Cathy Gutierrez, M. E. Warlick, Eric Wilson, and many others.
- Introduction, Part I, John Richards
- Introduction, Part II, Arthur Versluis
- Theater and Initiation: Euripides’s Bacchae, Melinda Weinstein
- Esoteric Cinema, Eric Wilson
- Hex and the City: Texts for Occult Performance in Late Capitalism, Lance Gharavi
- Philosophic Mercury: Evolution of the Alchemical Feminine, M. E. Warlick
- Le Jeu de Marseille: The Breton Tarot as Jeu de Hasard, Giovanna Costantini
- The Esoteric Art of Cecil Collins, Arthur Versluis
- William Blake, George Cumberland, and the Visionary Art of Exotic Erotica, Marsha Keith Schuchard
- Vladimir Solovyov’s Poems of Wisdom, Mystery, and Love, George M. Young
- Mirror, Mask and Anti-self: Forces of Literary Creation in Dion Fortune and W. B. Yeats, Claire Fanger
- Esotericism without Religion: Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, Joscelyn Godwin
- "Knowing In Terms of Togetherness": D. H. Lawrence and Esotericism, Glenn Alexander Magee
- Faux Catholic: The History of a Gothic Subgenre from Monk Lewis to Dan Brown, Victoria Nelson
- Dark Materials - The Chemical Wedding of Photography and the Esoteric, Chris Webster
- A Mirror with a Memory: Spirit Photography and the Future of Ghosts, Cathy Gutierrez
- Enlightenment and Freemasonry in Eighteenth-century Venice: The Hermeticism of Querini's Garden at Altichiero, Patrizia Granziera
- Advent Garden and the Waldorf Imagination: Esotericism, Ritual, and Childhood, Sarah W. Whedon
Deconstructing Gurdjieff: Biography of a Spiritual Magician
Inner Traditions / Bear & Company
In November 1949, architect Frank Lloyd Wright announced the death of "the greatest man in the world," yet few knew who he was talking about. Enigmatic, misunderstood, declared a charlatan, and recently dubbed "the Rasputin who inspired Mary Poppins," Gurdjieff's life has become a legend. But who really was George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?
Employing the latest research and discoveries, including previously unpublished reminiscences of the real man, Tobias Churton investigates the truth beneath th...
Tarot Sola Busca: Ferrara XV Century
One of the oldest tarot decks ever created, the Tarot Sola Busca
is known for its alchemical symbolism and for having inspired many of the minor arcana of the Rider Waite Smith deck. The first entry in Lo Scarabeo's new Anima Antiqua
series (Ancient Soul), this deck has been lovingly printed with great care from originals found in the greatest collections of rare tarot decks. This is a limited-edition, numbered deck printed on the highest quality stock.
The companion booklets f...
Jim Maynard's Celestial Influences 2018: Pacific Time (9" x 12")
is an essential astrological reference. It is the best astrological calendar available. It opens to 12 x 18 inches. The zodiac months are highlighted with a colored tint and the zodiac illustrations are in full color.
12 x 9 inches, 48 pages, full-color cover, full-color illustrations.
The Complete Mystical Records of Dr. John Dee: Transcribed from the 16th-Century Manuscripts Documen
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
A lavishly packaged, two-volume box set containing the most faithful and accurate versions of John Dee's journals ever published. This is a must-have treasure for Dee aficionados and esoteric scholars who absolutely need the most meticulously detailed version of these highly influential works. A labor of love twenty years in the making, these volumes include transcripts of four manuscripts from the British Library and one from the Bodleian Library in Oxford. Two of these manuscripts have never b...More
Treading the Mill: Workings in Traditional Witchcraft (Revised and expanded)
Pearson, Nigel G
In Treading the Mill
, Suffolk witch Nigel Pearson presents an extensive and thorough exploration of the working ways of the modern traditional witch, including Compass rites, directional virtues, tools & their hallowing, spellcrafting, wortcunning, transvection, spirit familiars, faerie lore, the old gods, self-dedication and much more.More