New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Charms, Charmers and Charming: International Research on Verbal Magic (New)
by Roper, Jonathan (ed)
Book ID: 9780230551848, 023055184X
Please inquire for availability
Charms, Charmers and Charming addresses popular verbal magic. Its nineteen chapters focus on charms (the words), charmers (the people) and charming (the activity) in a broad range of times and places, from early modern Finland to contemporary Malaysia, and from late medieval England to colonial Madagascar.
A selection of experts from America, Asia and Europe discuss rat charms, snake charms, how impossibility and inevitability are expressed in charms, why charming has revived following the Balkan wars, the literary use of charms by Shakespeare and by Malagasy story-tellers, the ramifications of Byzantine charms in later times and places Byzantium, and how charms are (amongst other things) a means of coping. Taken together, the book offers some of the best and most diverse scholarship produced in the current revival in the study of charms.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Unity and Diversity in Charms Studies; J.Roper
- PART I: TOPICS AND ISSUES IN CHARMS STUDIES
- The Charmer's Body and Behaviour as a Window onto Early Modern Selfhood; L.Stark
- 'If not, shall employ "Rough on Rats"': Identifying the common elements of rat charms; P.Cowdell
- Miracles and Impossibilities in Magic Folk Poetry; E.Pocs
- Snakebite Charms from a Gender Perspective; R.Herjulfsdotter
- Charms as a Means of Coping; U.Wolf-Knuts
- Towards the Systematization of Narrative Elements of Slavic Charms; V.Klyaus
- Conformity and Originaligy in Middle English Charms; T.M.Smallwood
- The Nightmare Charm in King Lear; J.Simpson
- Expressions of Impossibility and Inevitability in Mari Charms; N.Glukhova & V.Glukhov
- PART II: NATIONAL TRADITIONS
- Russian Charms in a Comparative Light; A.Toporkov
- Slovenian Charms and Conjuring: Between South Slavic and Central European Tradition; M.Kropej
- Finnish Snake Charms; H.Ilomaki Estonian Narrative Charms in European Context; J.Roper
- Lithuanian and Latvian Charms: Searching for Parallels; D.Vaitkeviciene
- Charms in Late Middle English Recipe Collections; L.Olsan
- The Charms of the Biljana, a Bajalica (Conjurer) in Budisava, Serbia; M.Vivod
- Verbal Charms in Malagasy Folktales; L.Haring
- The Structure and Use of Charms in Georgia, The Caucasus; M.Tsiklauri
- Malay Magic; K.O.Low
The Complete Mystical Records of Dr. John Dee: Transcribed from the 16th-Century Manuscripts Documen
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
A lavishly packaged, two-volume box set containing the most faithful and accurate versions of John Dee's journals ever published. This is a must-have treasure for Dee aficionados and esoteric scholars who absolutely need the most meticulously detailed version of these highly influential works. A labor of love twenty years in the making, these volumes include transcripts of four manuscripts from the British Library and one from the Bodleian Library in Oxford. Two of these manuscripts have never b...More
Treading the Mill: Workings in Traditional Witchcraft (Revised and expanded)
Pearson, Nigel G
In Treading the Mill
, Suffolk witch Nigel Pearson presents an extensive and thorough exploration of the working ways of the modern traditional witch, including Compass rites, directional virtues, tools & their hallowing, spellcrafting, wortcunning, transvection, spirit familiars, faerie lore, the old gods, self-dedication and much more.More
Jim Maynard's Celestial Influences 2018: Pacific Time (9" x 12")
is an essential astrological reference. It is the best astrological calendar available. It opens to 12 x 18 inches. The zodiac months are highlighted with a colored tint and the zodiac illustrations are in full color.
12 x 9 inches, 48 pages, full-color cover, full-color illustrations.
Tarot Sola Busca: Ferrara XV Century
One of the oldest tarot decks ever created, the Tarot Sola Busca
is known for its alchemical symbolism and for having inspired many of the minor arcana of the Rider Waite Smith deck. The first entry in Lo Scarabeo's new Anima Antiqua
series (Ancient Soul), this deck has been lovingly printed with great care from originals found in the greatest collections of rare tarot decks. This is a limited-edition, numbered deck printed on the highest quality stock.
The companion booklets f...
Deconstructing Gurdjieff: Biography of a Spiritual Magician
Inner Traditions / Bear & Company
In November 1949, architect Frank Lloyd Wright announced the death of "the greatest man in the world," yet few knew who he was talking about. Enigmatic, misunderstood, declared a charlatan, and recently dubbed "the Rasputin who inspired Mary Poppins," Gurdjieff's life has become a legend. But who really was George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?
Employing the latest research and discoveries, including previously unpublished reminiscences of the real man, Tobias Churton investigates the truth beneath th...