New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
The Scientific Enterprise in Early Modern Europe: Readings from Isis (New)
by Dear, Peter (ed)
Publisher: University of Chicago Press
Book ID: 9780226139470, 0226139476
Please inquire for availability
This collection brings together thirteen articles on early modern Western science, each representing an important contribution to the ways in which the scientific revolution is regarded today. The anthology features classic and prize-winning articles by renowned scholars, including:
- "Totius in verba: Rhetoric and Authority in the Early Royal Society," by Peter Dear;
- "The Melanchthon Circle, Rheticus, and the Wittenberg Interpretation of the Copernican Theory," by Robert S. Westman;
- "Laboratory Design and the Aim of Science," by Owen Hannaway;
- "Geography as Self-Definition in Early Modern England," by Lesley B. Cormack;
- "What Happened to Occult Qualities in the Scientific Revolution?" by Keith Hutchison; and
- "Galileo, Motion, and Essences," by Margaret J. Osler.
- "Scientific Patronage: Galileo and the Telescope," by Richard S. Westfall;
- "The Telescope in the Seventeenth Century," by Albert Van Helden;
- "Descartes on Refraction," by Bruce S. Eastwood;
- "Early Seventeenth-Century Atomism," by Christoph Meinel;
- "Robert Boyle and Structural Chemistry in the Seventeenth Century," by Thomas S. Kuhn;
- "Newton's Alchemy and His Theory of Matter," by B. J. T. Dobbs;
- "The House of Experiment in Seventeenth-Century England," by Steven Shapin; and
- "Maria Winkelmann at the Berlin Academy," by Londa Scheibinger.
This carefully structured collection will help readers approach complex questions--involving argument and experiment, audience and agency, authority and institutions.
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
The House of Owls
Yale University Press
For a quarter century, Tony Angell and his family shared the remarkable experience of closely observing pairs of western screech owls that occupied a nesting box outside their forest home. The journals the author recorded his observations in, and the captivating drawings he created, form the heart of this compelling book a personal account of an artist-naturalist s life with owls. Angell s extensive illustrations show owls engaged in what owls do hunting, courting, raising families, and exercisi...More
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More