New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
The Scientific Enterprise in Early Modern Europe: Readings from Isis (New)
by Dear, Peter (ed)
Publisher: University of Chicago Press
Book ID: 9780226139470, 0226139476
Please inquire for availability
This collection brings together thirteen articles on early modern Western science, each representing an important contribution to the ways in which the scientific revolution is regarded today. The anthology features classic and prize-winning articles by renowned scholars, including:
- "Totius in verba: Rhetoric and Authority in the Early Royal Society," by Peter Dear;
- "The Melanchthon Circle, Rheticus, and the Wittenberg Interpretation of the Copernican Theory," by Robert S. Westman;
- "Laboratory Design and the Aim of Science," by Owen Hannaway;
- "Geography as Self-Definition in Early Modern England," by Lesley B. Cormack;
- "What Happened to Occult Qualities in the Scientific Revolution?" by Keith Hutchison; and
- "Galileo, Motion, and Essences," by Margaret J. Osler.
- "Scientific Patronage: Galileo and the Telescope," by Richard S. Westfall;
- "The Telescope in the Seventeenth Century," by Albert Van Helden;
- "Descartes on Refraction," by Bruce S. Eastwood;
- "Early Seventeenth-Century Atomism," by Christoph Meinel;
- "Robert Boyle and Structural Chemistry in the Seventeenth Century," by Thomas S. Kuhn;
- "Newton's Alchemy and His Theory of Matter," by B. J. T. Dobbs;
- "The House of Experiment in Seventeenth-Century England," by Steven Shapin; and
- "Maria Winkelmann at the Berlin Academy," by Londa Scheibinger.
This carefully structured collection will help readers approach complex questions--involving argument and experiment, audience and agency, authority and institutions.
Treading the Mill: Workings in Traditional Witchcraft (Revised and expanded)
Pearson, Nigel G
In Treading the Mill
, Suffolk witch Nigel Pearson presents an extensive and thorough exploration of the working ways of the modern traditional witch, including Compass rites, directional virtues, tools & their hallowing, spellcrafting, wortcunning, transvection, spirit familiars, faerie lore, the old gods, self-dedication and much more.More
Tarot Sola Busca: Ferrara XV Century
One of the oldest tarot decks ever created, the Tarot Sola Busca
is known for its alchemical symbolism and for having inspired many of the minor arcana of the Rider Waite Smith deck. The first entry in Lo Scarabeo's new Anima Antiqua
series (Ancient Soul), this deck has been lovingly printed with great care from originals found in the greatest collections of rare tarot decks. This is a limited-edition, numbered deck printed on the highest quality stock.
The companion booklets f...
The Complete Mystical Records of Dr. John Dee: Transcribed from the 16th-Century Manuscripts Documen
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
A lavishly packaged, two-volume box set containing the most faithful and accurate versions of John Dee's journals ever published. This is a must-have treasure for Dee aficionados and esoteric scholars who absolutely need the most meticulously detailed version of these highly influential works. A labor of love twenty years in the making, these volumes include transcripts of four manuscripts from the British Library and one from the Bodleian Library in Oxford. Two of these manuscripts have never b...More
Jim Maynard's Celestial Influences 2018: Pacific Time (9" x 12")
is an essential astrological reference. It is the best astrological calendar available. It opens to 12 x 18 inches. The zodiac months are highlighted with a colored tint and the zodiac illustrations are in full color.
12 x 9 inches, 48 pages, full-color cover, full-color illustrations.
Deconstructing Gurdjieff: Biography of a Spiritual Magician
Inner Traditions / Bear & Company
In November 1949, architect Frank Lloyd Wright announced the death of "the greatest man in the world," yet few knew who he was talking about. Enigmatic, misunderstood, declared a charlatan, and recently dubbed "the Rasputin who inspired Mary Poppins," Gurdjieff's life has become a legend. But who really was George Ivanovich Gurdjieff?
Employing the latest research and discoveries, including previously unpublished reminiscences of the real man, Tobias Churton investigates the truth beneath th...