New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
The Fifty Fugues of Atalanta Fugiens (72 minute High Definition DVD-A, on two discs) (New)
by Maier, Michael
Book ID: 5016198546867, 5016198546867
NOTE: THIS HIGH DEFINITION DVD-A RECORDING IS ONLY PLAYABLE ON DVD-AUDIO PLAYERS AND CERTAIN BLU-RAY PLAYERS WITH 192KHZ/24BIT DAC (DIGITAL-TO-ANALOG CONVERTER). WILL ALSO PLAY ON MANY COMPUTERS WITH A VLC PLAYER APP. PLEASE CHECK YOUR PLAYER FOR COMPATIBILITY BEFORE PURCHASING. ALSO NOTE THAT THIS IS AN AUDIO-ONLY DVD-A DISK -- THERE ARE NO IMAGES. REFUNDS WILL NOT BE GIVEN UNLESS DISC IS DEFECTIVE.
Atalanta Fugiens - Michael Maier. Rachel Platt, Emily Van Evera, sopranos; Rufus Müller, tenor; Richard Wistreich, bass & director.
Michael Maier's emblem book Atalanta Fugiens (The Fugitive Atalanta) is best known for its engravings, reproduced time and again to delight amateurs of alchemy and the occult arts, and connoisseurs of proto-surrealism. Less well known are the fifty fugues that accompany the emblems, their cryptic titles and Latin poems, and the fifty essays or 'discourses' on alchemical themes. This multi-media work appeared in 1617 from the Oppenheim publisher, Johann Theodor de Bry, with the fifty emblems, title-page, and portrait of Maier engraved by de Bry's son-in-law Matthaeus Merian (1593-1650). Maier himself had recently returned from a five-year sojourn in England, and it was perhaps there that he had prepared this and the nine other books published in 1616-1618.
Atalanta Fugiens exudes the air of its time: the alchemist's laboratory, the echoes of Renaissance choirs, the attention of the engraver to his copper plate. It is beautiful and strange, and it must be full of meaning, but what is that meaning? The question was a teasing one even to Maier's contemporaries, and four hundred years of 'progress' have not brought us any closer to answering it. Yet one can enjoy and love this work without being able to understand it. Art, and that includes Maier's chosen art of alchemy, does not have to be rational in order to give satisfaction. It is sufficient for it to arouse the sense of wonder, the sense of something coming from another level of existence or another order of being. That, after all, is what music regularly does.
Titles of the Fugues:
- The wind has carried it in his belly
- Its nurse is the earth
- Go to the woman washing sheets, and do thou likewise
- Join brother to sister and hand them the cup of love
- Put a toad to the breasts of a woman, and nurse it; the woman may die, but the toad grows big from the milk
- Sow your gold in the white foliated earth
- There is a chick, flying up from its nest, that falls back into the nest again
- Take the egg and pierce it with a fiery sword
- Lock the tree with the old man in a bedewed house, and by eating of its fruit he will become young
- Give fire to fire, Mercury to Mercury, and it is enough for you
- Make Latona white and tear up the books
- The stone that Saturn vomited up, after having devoured it in place of his son, Jupiter, has been placed on Helicon as a monument for mortals
- The Ore of the Philosophers is dropsical, and needs to be washed seven times in the river, just as the leper Naaman in the Jordan
- This is the dragon devouring its own tail
- Let the work of the potter, consisting of the dry and the wet, teach you
- A fourfold wheel rules this fiery work
- If you kill one of the four, all will be dead immediately
- Nature teaches nature to overcome the fire
- Make a circle around man and woman, then a square, now a triangle; make a circle, and you will have the Philosophers' Stone
- When you have the white lead, do the women's work, that is, cook
- The dragon will not die, unless it be killed by its brother and sister, who are Sol and Luna
- The fruit of human wisdom is the Tree of Life
- He who tries to enter the Philosophic Rose-garden without a key is like a man wanting to walk without feet
- The king is bathed, sitting in a steam-bath, and is freed from black bile by Pharut
- Like the salamander, the stone lives in the fire
- The Sun needs the Moon, as the cock needs the hen
- The king swims in the sea, crying with a loud voice: 'He who rescues me shall have a mighty reward!'
- As coral grows under water and hardens in the air, so does the stone
- The hermaphrodite, like a corpse, lying in the dark, needs fire
- He is conceived in the bath and born in the air, but when he is made red he steps over the waters
- As Ceres accustomed Triptolemus to stay in the fire, and Thetis Achilles, so the master does to the stone
- The stone is projected onto the land, and exalted in the moutains, and lives in the air, and feeds in the river, that is, Mercury
- Three things suffice for the mastery: white smoke, that is, water; the green lion, that is the Ore of Hermes; and foetid water
- The Rebis, like the hermaphrodite, is born from two mountains, those of Mercury and Venus
- Oedipus, having overcome the Sphinx and murdered Laius his father, takes his mother to wife.
- From two waters make one, and it will be the water of holiness
- Adonis is slain by a boar, and as Venus runs up, she tinctures the roses with her blood
- For him versed in chemistry, let Nature, Reason, Experience and Reading be his guide, staff, spectacles and lamp
- Hear the garrulous vulture, who in no wise deceives you
- Typhon kills Osiris by trickery, and scatters his members far and wide, but the renowned Isis collects them
- The Sun and its shadow complete the work
- Two eagles meet, one from the East, the other from the West
- The wolf coming from the East and the dog coming from the West have bitten each other
- The king, sick from drinking the waters, is cured by the physicians and regains his health
- The Philosophic Child acknowledges three fathers, like Orion
- The dragon kills the woman, and she him, and together they are soaked in blood
Gateways Through Light and Shadow
Chassan, Frater Ashen
One of only 1000 Signed limited edition hardcover copies. Individually hand bound with silver foil stamping, 70lbs acid neutral paper. Printed in two colors with over 140 illustration!
Gateways Through Light and Shadow is the second book by Bryan Garner, known to his fellow ceremonial magicians as Frater Ashen Chassan, and in it we are again offered the illuminating opportunity to observe and learn from a practicing magus engaged in his Work. Once more he offers instruction in the pro...
LIBER SPIRITUUM: A Compendium of Writings on Angels and Other Spirits in Modern Magick
Forrest, Adam (ed)
Book is limited to 500 hand numbered hardcover copies printed in two colors and bound in faux leather silk-touch cloth, 252 pages, Foil stamp on both the front and back boards with a full color frontispiece by acclaimed artist Caniglia and sewn in satin bookmark.
About the book:
For Liber Spirituum: A Compendium of Writings on Angels and Other Spirits in Modern Magick, Azoth Press has assembled a group of nine of the foremost writers in the field of ceremonial magick, representi...
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
The Luminous Stone: Lucifer in Western Esotericism (Western Esotericism in Context)
Schulke, Daniel A. (ed)
Three Hands Press
Limited to 800 copies
The Arcanum of the 'fallen angel' Lucifer evokes such concepts as heresy, rebellion, pride, liberation from the bonds of demiurgic oppression, and impetus for human evolution. Meaning 'light bearer', Lucifer has, from his earliest origins, been hailed by religious and artistic countercultures as a patron saint of enlightenment -- the essential quality embodying overthrow of ignorance and the inspired process of revelation. Allied to ancient Gnostic cosmological concepti...
The House of Owls
Yale University Press
For a quarter century, Tony Angell and his family shared the remarkable experience of closely observing pairs of western screech owls that occupied a nesting box outside their forest home. The journals the author recorded his observations in, and the captivating drawings he created, form the heart of this compelling book a personal account of an artist-naturalist s life with owls. Angell s extensive illustrations show owls engaged in what owls do hunting, courting, raising families, and exercisi...More