New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Gnosis 50: Good and Evil. A Journal of the Western Inner Traditions (New)
Book ID: GNO50, GNO50
"Don't get too concerned about fighting evil. You lose your own center that
--Robert Anton Wilson, from the interview
Contents -- Winter 1999
by Richard Smoley
News & Notes
Grail conference report; Victor Sanchez reflects on Castaneda's legacy; a Burning Times quiz; Frithjof Schuon reexamined; Elizabeth Clare Prophet restructures her church.
Introduction: Two A.M. in the Garden of Good and Evil
by Jay Kinney
On taking the Golden Rule a step further.
The Mystery of Iniquity
by Stephan A. Hoeller
For Gnostics, evil exists because the universe was made by a flawed creator.
Has the Church of Satan Gone to Hell?
by Jack Boulware
A peek into the rise and fall of one of the world's most feared -- and most entertaining -- religions.
How to Do Good: A Satanic Perspective
by Don Webb
Why Evil is different from evil and what you can do about it.
Doubt! The GNOSIS Interview with Robert Anton Wilson
by Richard Smoley and Jay Kinney
The master of unconventional wisdom talks about conspiracy, Catholicism, psychedelics, and the unutterable perplexity of the world.
The Evil Fomorians
by Tom Cowan
For the ancient Irish, evil was a mysterious yet necessary part of the cosmos.
Sex, Spirit, and Abuse
by Arthur Waskow
A modern rabbi grapples with the issues of nonmarital sex and abuse by spiritual teachers.
- Raising Children in Love, Justice, and Truth by Barry Long
- Conscious Parenting by Lee Lozowick Two books by spiritual teachers offer contrasting approaches to childrearing.
- Finding Enlightenment: Ramtha's School of Ancient Wisdom by J. Gordon Melton Respected scholar of New Religious Movements offers sympathetic look at the Ramtha School of Enlightenment - perhaps too sympathetic?
- Collectanea Hermetica by William Wynn Westcott 780-page collectiion of Hermetic texts, originally issued as study resources for Golden Dawn members and related students of the occult.
- Isis Unveiled: A New Abridgement by H.P. Blavatsky. Edited by Michael Gomes An intelligent abridgment of Madame Blavatsky's seminal work that removes the dross and retains her central message. Buy it
- Christ the Yogi: A Hindu Reflection on the Gospel of John by Ravi Ravindra
- Sophia-Maria: A Holistic Vision of Creation by Thomas Schipflinger. Two valuable re-evaluations: one an insightful Hindu analysis of the Gospel of John, the other a new lokk at the Virgin Mary as an incarnation of Sophia. Buy it
- The Books in My Life by Colin Wilson. In one of his better works, Colin Wilson discusses the key books he's read in each stage of his life, illuminating both those volumes and
his own major ideas. Buy it
- Techgnosis by Erik Davis Pithy, amusing, and surprising examination of the push-pull relationship between information technology and mystical awareness. Buy it
- Shadows of Heaven: Gurdjieff and Toomer by Paul Beekman Taylor Buy it
- Opening: Collected Writings, 1985-97 by William Segal Gurdjieff and his work are seen through the eyes of two authors,
providing a "fly on the wall" perspective on esoteric luminaries.
- Edgar Cayce in Context: The Readings, Truth and Fiction by K. Paul Johnson Balanced and thorough overview of Cayce, the "sleeping prophet."
- The Navajo Skinwalker, Witchcraft, and Related Phenomena: Spiritual Clues: Orientation to the Evolution of the Circle by Joanne Teller and Norman Blackwater Authentic and ground breaking inside account of rarely discussed Navajo "witchcraft" and shapeshifting.
About our covers:
Front: "Demons to Tea" by Susan Hill.www.sublimatrix.com.
Back: "Guardian" by Gage Taylor and Uriel Dana. See also their collaborative work.
Liber Nox: A Traditional Witch's Gramarye
Skylight Press UK
In this concise and important treatise Michael Howard delineates between various modern neo-pagan Wiccan traditions, cunning folk traditions, heathen folk or the 'pagani,' and an assortment of ritual magicians and pathworkers in order to present a 'gramarye' distinctly for those who aspire to the 'Old Craft.' An experienced practitioner, writer, researcher, folklorist and magazine editor of the respected witchcraft magazine, The Cauldron
(since 1976), Howard elucidates important elements ...More
Wisht Waters: Aqueous Magica and the Cult of Holy Wells (Occult Monograph No. 5)
Three Hands Press
Curse tablets, defixiones, were formed from sheets of lead, inscribed with the ill intent of the curse, and the name of the victim. The tablet would often be rolled, or folded, before being stuck through with a nail; a magical act of defigo; 'pinning down' or 'fixing' one’s will and intent upon the target of one’s work. Such an act is not isolated to malefic working, and is cognate with the 'creative act' and fertility; giving life unto the magician's will. In curse magic howev...
36 Faces: The History, Astrology and Magic of the Decans
Three Hands Press
There is a thread that runs through over four millennia of astrological and magical history, a cord that binds ancient Egypt with the Hellenistic world, the Arabian empire, India, the European Renaissance and even touches the present. That thread is the Decans, a division of the earth’s sky into 36 sections. These 36 'Faces of Heaven' are more than just a curious footnote in the history of archaeo-astronomy. First emerging in ancient Egypt, they have moved with the corpus of Hermetic materia...More
Occult Psaligraphy: The Hidden Art of Papercutting
von Tulien, Hagen
With more than thirty years of intense magical theory and practice, Hagen Von Tulien has specialized in creating art as an expression and manifestation of magical states of awareness and its use as an esoteric tool. In Occult Psaligraphy
Von Tulien expresses these magical states in a series of over 100 papercuts. The book, produced in large format and printed in Red and Black will be presented in a Limited but distinct Edition. This bi-lingual text in English and German, includes introduc...More
Dance of Reality: The Psychomagical Autobiography of the Creator of El Topo and the Holy Mountain
Inner Traditions / Bear & Company
Retracing the spiritual and mystical path he has followed since childhood, Alejandro Jodorowsky re-creates the incredible adventure of his life as an artist, filmmaker, writer, and therapist--all stages on his quest to push back the boundaries of both imagination and reason.
Not a traditional autobiography composed of a chronological recounting of memories, Dance of Reality repaints events from Jodorowsky's life from the perspective of an unleashed imagination. Like the psychomagic an...