New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Practicing Gnosis: Ritual, Magic, Theurgy and Liturgy in Nag Hammadi, Manichaean and Other Ancient L (New)
by DeConick, April (ed)
Publisher: Brill Academic Publishers
Book ID: 9789004256293, 9004256296
Please inquire for availability
Ritual, magic, liturgy, and theurgy were central features of Gnosticism, and yet Gnostic practices remain understudied. This anthology is meant to fill in this gap and address more fully what the ancient Gnostics were doing. While previously we have studied the Gnostics as intellectuals in pursuit of metaphysical knowledge, the essays in this book attempt to understand the Gnostics as ecstatics striving after religious experience, as prophets seeking revelation, as mystics questing after the ultimate God, as healers attempting to care for the sick and diseased. These essays demonstrate that the Gnostics were not necessarily trendy intellectuals seeking epistomological certainities. They were after religious experiences that relied on practices. The book is organized comparatively in a history-of-religions approach with sections devoted to Initiatory, Recurrent, Therapeutic, Ecstatic, and Philosophic Practices. This book celebrates the brilliant career of Birger A. Pearson.
April D. DeConick, Introduction to Practicing Gnosis
A Tribute to Birger A. Pearson
- George W.E. Nickelsburg, For Birger Pearson: A Scholar Who Both Studies and Embodies Syncretism
- Gerald James Larson, Religionsgeschichtliche Schule, Religionswissenschaft,
Piano, Oboe and Bourbon
- Gregory Shaw, Birger Pearson: Scholar, Professor and Mentor
- Birger A. Pearson, A Bibliography
- April D. DeConick, The Road for the Souls is through the Planets: The Mysteries of the Ophians Mapped
- Roger Beck, Ecstatic Religion in the Roman Cult of Mithras
- Bas van Os, Gospel of Philip as Gnostic Initiatory Discourse
- Elliot Wolfson, Becoming Invisible: Rending the Veil and the Hermeneutic of Secrecy in the Gospel of Philip
- Erin Evans, Ritual in the Second Book of Jeu
- Nicola Denzey Lewis, Death on the Nile: Egyptian Codices, Gnosticism, and Early Christian Books of the Dead
- Einar Thomassen, Going to Church with the Valentinians
- Madeleine Scopello, Practicing ‘Repentance’ on the Path to Gnosis in Exegesis on the Soul
- Edward Butler, Opening the Way of Writing: Semiotic Metaphysics in the Book of Thoth
- Fernando Bermejo Rubio, “I Worship and Glorify”: Manichaean Liturgy and Piety in Kellis’ Prayer of the Emanations
- Jason BeDuhn, The Manichaean Weekly Confessional Ritual
- Jorunn Buckley, Ritual Ingenuity in the Mandaean Scroll of Exalted Kingship
- Naomi Janowitz, Natural, Magical, Scientific or Religious? A Guide to Theories of Healing
- Grant Adamson, Astrological Medicine in Gnostic Traditions
- Marvin Meyer, The Persistence of Ritual in the Magical Book of Mary and the Angels: P. Heid. Inv. Kopt. 685
- Rebecca Lesses, Image and Word: Performative Ritual and Material Culture in the Aramaic Incantation Bowls
- John D. Turner, From Baptismal Vision to Mystical Union with the One: The Case of the Sethian Gnostics
- Niclas Förster, Marcosian Rituals for Prophecy and Apolytrosis
- James Davila, Ritual Praxis in the Hekhalot Literature
- Zeke Mazur, The Platonizing Sethian Gnostic Interpretation of Plato’s Sophist
- Michael Williams, Did Plotinus’ “Friends” Still Go to Church? Communal Rituals and Ascent Apocalypses
- Kevin Corrigan, The Meaning of “One”: Plurality and Unity in Plotinus and Later Neoplatonism
- Gregory Shaw, Theurgy and the Platonist’s Luminous Body
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More
Tarot of Marseilles - Conver 1760 Restored (Standard Deck)
Jodorowsky & Camoin
Based on years of research with the goal of creating the definitive Tarot de Marseille, this deck is a labor of love that possesses fine details and the passionate workmanship of Phillipe Camoin -- last heir to the centuries-old legacy of Marseillan cardmakers -- and acclaimed artist and tarotist Alejandro Jodorowsky. Influenced most heavily by the deck of Nicolas Conver first printed in 1760, this premium deck is a treasure for readers and collectors.
Keeper of the Tarot of Marseilles Tradi...
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More