New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
The Devil, Heresy and Witchcraft in the Middle Ages: Essays in Honor of Jeffrey B. Russell (New)
by Ferreiro, Alberto
Publisher: Brill Academic Publishers
Binding: Hardcover with dust jacket
Book ID: 9789004106109, 9004106103
Usually available in 3-5 days
The study of heresy and heterodoxy and of belief in magic, witchcraft and the devil has in the past 25 years made significant advances in our understanding of art and iconography, ideas, mentality and belief, and ordinary life and popular imagination in the patristic and medieval periods. At the forefront of research into this aspect of medieval intellectual history has been Jeffrey B. Russell, whose numerous books and articles have opened important new paths in the field. To mark his retirement 17 established and emerging scholars from Europe and North America - historians of art, the church, religions, and ideas - have contributed papers on the many areas which Russell has influenced. Topics dealt with include elves, the Christians apocrypha, mysticism, sexuality, heresies and heresiologies, apocalyptic tracts, astrology, hell, and other Christian encounters with non-believers. These essays are offered as tribute to the deep impact that Russel has had on medieval studies. Contributors include: Alan Bernstein, Richard Emmerson, Alberto Ferreiro, Neil Forsyth, Abraham Friessen, Karen Jolly, Henry Ansgar Kelly, Richard Kieckhefer, Beverly M. Kienzle, Garry Macy, Bernard McGinn, Edward Peters, Cheryl Rigs, Larry J. Simon, Laura Smoller, Catherine B. Tkacz, and John Tolan.
Table of Contents
- List of Contributors
- Hospitals and Poor Relief in Ramon Llull s Majorca -- Larry J. Simon
- Elves in the Psalms? The Experience of Evil from a Cosmic Perspective -- Karen Louise Jolly
- Simon Magus, Dogs and Simon Peter -- Alberto Ferreiro
- Avenging the Blood of Children: Anxiety over Child Victims and the Origins of the European Witch Trials -- Richard Kieckhefer
- Teaching and Preaching Confession in Thirteenth-Century Paris -- Alan E. Bernstein
- Destruction of the Flesh - Salvation of the Spirit: The Paradoxes of Torture in Medieval Christian Society -- Edward Peters
- Prophecy and Order: Mysticism and Medieval Cosmologies in the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries -- Cheryl A. Riggs
- Medieval Heretics or Forerunners of the Reformation: The Protestant Rewriting of the History of Medieval Heresy -- Abraham Friesen
- Cosmic and Sexual Love in Renaissance Thought: Reflectioins on Marsilio Ficino, Giovanni Pico della Mirandola, and Leone Ebreo - Bernard McGinn
- The Alfonsine Tables and the End of the World: Astrology and Apocalyptic Calculation in the Later Middle Ages -- Laura Smoller
- Satan: Making a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven -- Neil Forsyth
- Holiness and Obedience: Denouncement of Twelfth-Century Waldensian Lay Preaching -- Beverly Mayne Kienzle
- Lollard Inquisitions: Due and Undue Process -- Henry Ansgar Kelly
- "Englysch Laten" and "Franch": Language as Sign of Evil in Medieval English Drama -- Richard K. Emmerson
- Heaven and Fallen Angels in Old English -- Catherine Brown Tkacz
- Peter the Venerable on the "Diabolical Heresy of the Saracens," -- John Tolan
- Nicolas Eymeric and the Condemnation of Orthodoxy -- Garry Macy
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More
Tarot of Marseilles - Conver 1760 Restored (Standard Deck)
Jodorowsky & Camoin
Based on years of research with the goal of creating the definitive Tarot de Marseille, this deck is a labor of love that possesses fine details and the passionate workmanship of Phillipe Camoin -- last heir to the centuries-old legacy of Marseillan cardmakers -- and acclaimed artist and tarotist Alejandro Jodorowsky. Influenced most heavily by the deck of Nicolas Conver first printed in 1760, this premium deck is a treasure for readers and collectors.
Keeper of the Tarot of Marseilles Tradi...