New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Divination and Interpretation of Signs in the Ancient World (New)
by Annus, Amar
Book ID: 9781885923684, 1885923686
The concept of sign, a portent observed in the physical world, which indicates future events, is found in all ancient cultures, but was first developed in ancient Mesopotamian texts. This branch of Babylonian scientific knowledge extensively influenced other parts of the world, and similar texts written in Aramaic, Sanscrit, Sogdian, and other languages. The seminar investigates how much we know about the Babylonian theory and hermeneutics of omens, and the scope of their possible influences on other cultures and regions.
Table of Contents:
359p (The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago 2010)
- Amar Annus (Chicago): On the Beginnings and Continuities of the Omen Sciences in the Ancient World
- Francesca Rochberg: 'If P, then Q': Form and Reasoning in Babylonian Divinations
- James Allen: Greek Philosophy and Signs
- Ulla Susanne Koch: 'Three Strikes and You are Out!' A View on Cognitive Theory and the First-Millennium Extispicy Ritual
- Edward L. Shaughnessy: Arousing Images: The Poetry of Divination and the Divination of Poetry
- Niek Veldhuis: The Theory of Knowledge and the Practice of Celestial Divination
- Eckart Frahm: Reading the Tablet, the Exta, and the Body: The Hermeneutics of Cuneiform Signs in Babylonian and Assyrian Text Commentaries and Divinatory Texts
- Scott B. Noegel: 'Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign': Script, Power, and Interpretation in the Ancient Near East
- Nils Heessel: The Calculation of the Stipulated Term in Extispicy
- Abraham Winitzer: The Divine Presence and Its Interpretation in Early Mesopotamian Divination
- Barbara Böck: Physiognomy in Ancient Mesopotamia and Beyond: From Practice to Handbook
- Seth Richardson: On Seeing and Believing: Liver Divination and the Era of Warring States
- Cynthia Jean: Divination and Oracles at the Neo-Assyrian Palace: The Importance of Signs in Royal Ideology
- JoAnn Scurlock: Prophecy as a Form of Divination; Divination as a Form of Prophecy
- John Jacobs: Traces of the Omen Series umma izbu in Cicero, De divination
- Martti Nissinen: Prophecy and Omen Divination: Two Sides of the Same Coin
Tarot of Marseilles - Conver 1760 Restored (Standard Deck)
Jodorowsky & Camoin
Based on years of research with the goal of creating the definitive Tarot de Marseille, this deck is a labor of love that possesses fine details and the passionate workmanship of Phillipe Camoin -- last heir to the centuries-old legacy of Marseillan cardmakers -- and acclaimed artist and tarotist Alejandro Jodorowsky. Influenced most heavily by the deck of Nicolas Conver first printed in 1760, this premium deck is a treasure for readers and collectors.
Keeper of the Tarot of Marseilles Tradi...
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More