New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Occult Traditions (New)
by Lycourinos, Damon (ed)
Book ID: 9780987158130, 0987158139
Occult Traditions is the manifestation of the endeavours of scholars and practitioners alike exploring and challenging both historical and contemporary perspectives on the occult arts and sciences. The title of this book serves as a testimony for the occult acting as a designation of currents and traditions of esoteric philosophy, and magic as a participatory worldview manipulated as an instrument by the active person through the execution of the art and science of ritual, which is an extension grounded in the belief in magical powers within the self and other.
Each page bears witness to aspects of occult traditions, which are in essence simultaneously meta-historical and dynamic, serving as an overall ordering force in service of the principles of the arcane correspondences that exist between the microcosm and the macrocosm.
This book is an awakening to the occult reality that since the dawn of ages men and women have sought a glimpse of gn sis within the awesome natural performance of ritual, the slithering flow of the elements, the sensational sounds of the spheres, the iconic form of dreams undreamt and now awoken, the irrational whispering of mystical verses, the silence of contemplation, and the passion drenched erotic thirst for life, death, and rebirth. Unlike the priesthood of sterile logic and doctrinal faith, these men and women have been a visible representation of spiritual virility, of the human condition, and many times the romantic ethos, which many have convicted as an antinomian ethos, refusing, adapting, and also enchanting the dictates of conventional society, morality, and metaphysical culture. Thus, Occult Traditions invites the reader to journey along with the authors and conjurors, who have been generous enough to share their visions and gestures in this book, through various traditions relating to distinct historical developments, unique occult philosophies, and potent ritual practice.
Here the reader shall encounter summoning magical assistants and the presence of the mystery traditions in the Greek Magical Papyri; deification through the arcane process of drowning in the Greek Magical Papyri; an exploration of occult theology as a continuation of Neoplatonism; a historical analysis of the grimoire traditions and a search for the original source of the Key of Solomon; the Icelandic tradition of magic as presented in an eighteenth century grimoire; a comparative analysis of medieval and Renaissance angel magic; Canaanite views of death and necromancy; an exploration of the use and attributes of incenses throughout history; a consideration of the science of divining the will of the gods; Seth as god of chaos and equilibrium; Julius Evola's ideas concerning the formula of sex, magic, and power; Buddhist 'wizards' at war in Thailand; a critical examination of the role of sex, magic, and initiation in the Wiccan Great Rite; the dynamics of altering consciousness within the spiral maze of Wiccan ritual; a restoration of the Rite of the Headless One from the Greek Magical Papyri; the elements of being and becoming in Conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel; the Eucharistic Feast of Agathodaimon; the Rite of the Solar and Lunar Mysteries of the Altar of Eros for the Consecration of the Talismans of Helios and Selene; the Calling and Adoration of Aion, and the Spell of the Mystic Flame; and finally the Hymnic Adoration and Invocation of Thoth, to whom this book belongs, as He is lord of magic and scribe of the gods.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Gwendolyn Toynton
- Introduction by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Conjuring Magical Assistants in the Greek Magical Papyri" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "The Spell of Pnouthis as a Mystery Rite in the Greek Magical Papyri" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Waters Animating and Annihilating Apotheosis by Drowning in the Greek Magical Papyri" by Aaron Cheak
- "The Hierarchical Cosmos Occult Theology as a Direct Continuation of Neoplatonism" by Christopher A. Plaisance
- "From Roots to Fruits: A History of the Grimoire Tradition" by David Rankine
- "A Source of the Key of Solomon - The Magic Treatise or Hygromancy, or Epistle to Rehoboam" by Ioannis Marathakis
- "The Icelandic Tradition of Magic: Analysis of a Late-Eighteenth Century Icelandic Galdrabók" by Christopher A. Smith
- "From Conjuror to Philosopher: A Comparative Analysis of Medieval and Renaissance Angel Magic" by Christopher A. Plaisance
- "Dining with the Dead: A Canaanite View of Death and Necromancy" by Tess Dawson
- "Composite Incenses and Incense Attributions: A Historical Survey" by Ioannis Marathakis
- "The Science of Omens: Divining the Will of the Gods" by Gwendolyn Toynton
- "Seth, the Red One of Chaos and Equilibrium" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Evolian Sex, Magic, and Power" by Damon Zacharias Lycourinos
- "Wizards at War: Buddhism and the Occult in Thailand" by Gwendolyn Toynton
- "Woman was the Altar: The Wiccan Great Rite: Sex, Tea, and Religion" by Sorita d’Este
- "Treading the Spiral Maze: Changing Consciousness in Wiccan Ritual" by Melissa Harrington
- "Akephalos Being an Attempted Restoration of the Rite of the Headless One, according to the Stele of Jeu the Hieroglyphist" by Matthew Levi Stevens
- "The Holy Guardian Angel: A Golden Thread in the Tapestry of Being and Becoming" by Companion Abraxas
- "The Eucharistic Feast of Agathodaimon" by Companion Abraxas
- "The Rite of the Solar and Lunar Mysteries of the Altar of Eros for the Consecration of the Talismans of Helios and Selene" by "Damon"
- "The Calling and Adoration of Aion, and the Spell of the Mystic Flame" by "Damon"
- "The Hymnic Adoration and Invocation of Thoth” by "Damon"
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More
Tarot of Marseilles - Conver 1760 Restored (Standard Deck)
Jodorowsky & Camoin
Based on years of research with the goal of creating the definitive Tarot de Marseille, this deck is a labor of love that possesses fine details and the passionate workmanship of Phillipe Camoin -- last heir to the centuries-old legacy of Marseillan cardmakers -- and acclaimed artist and tarotist Alejandro Jodorowsky. Influenced most heavily by the deck of Nicolas Conver first printed in 1760, this premium deck is a treasure for readers and collectors.
Keeper of the Tarot of Marseilles Tradi...