New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
Esotericism, Art, and Imagination (New)
by Versluis, Arthur (ed)
Publisher: Michigan State University Press
Book ID: 9780870138195, 0870138197
Please inquire for availability
Esotericism, Art, and Imagination is a uniquely wide-ranging collection of articles by scholars in the field of Western esotericism, focusing on themes of poetry, drama, film, literature, and art. Included here are articles illuminating such diverse topics as the Gnostic fiction of Philip Pullman, alchemical images, the Tarot, surrealism, esoteric films, and much more. This collection reveals the richness and complexity of the intersections between esotericism, artistic creators, and their works. Authors include Joscelyn Godwin, Cathy Gutierrez, M. E. Warlick, Eric Wilson, and many others.
- Introduction, Part I, John Richards
- Introduction, Part II, Arthur Versluis
- Theater and Initiation: Euripides’s Bacchae, Melinda Weinstein
- Esoteric Cinema, Eric Wilson
- Hex and the City: Texts for Occult Performance in Late Capitalism, Lance Gharavi
- Philosophic Mercury: Evolution of the Alchemical Feminine, M. E. Warlick
- Le Jeu de Marseille: The Breton Tarot as Jeu de Hasard, Giovanna Costantini
- The Esoteric Art of Cecil Collins, Arthur Versluis
- William Blake, George Cumberland, and the Visionary Art of Exotic Erotica, Marsha Keith Schuchard
- Vladimir Solovyov’s Poems of Wisdom, Mystery, and Love, George M. Young
- Mirror, Mask and Anti-self: Forces of Literary Creation in Dion Fortune and W. B. Yeats, Claire Fanger
- Esotericism without Religion: Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, Joscelyn Godwin
- "Knowing In Terms of Togetherness": D. H. Lawrence and Esotericism, Glenn Alexander Magee
- Faux Catholic: The History of a Gothic Subgenre from Monk Lewis to Dan Brown, Victoria Nelson
- Dark Materials - The Chemical Wedding of Photography and the Esoteric, Chris Webster
- A Mirror with a Memory: Spirit Photography and the Future of Ghosts, Cathy Gutierrez
- Enlightenment and Freemasonry in Eighteenth-century Venice: The Hermeticism of Querini's Garden at Altichiero, Patrizia Granziera
- Advent Garden and the Waldorf Imagination: Esotericism, Ritual, and Childhood, Sarah W. Whedon
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More
Tarot of Marseilles - Conver 1760 Restored (Standard Deck)
Jodorowsky & Camoin
Based on years of research with the goal of creating the definitive Tarot de Marseille, this deck is a labor of love that possesses fine details and the passionate workmanship of Phillipe Camoin -- last heir to the centuries-old legacy of Marseillan cardmakers -- and acclaimed artist and tarotist Alejandro Jodorowsky. Influenced most heavily by the deck of Nicolas Conver first printed in 1760, this premium deck is a treasure for readers and collectors.
Keeper of the Tarot of Marseilles Tradi...
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...