New & Forthcoming
Directions & Parking
Shipping & Returns
The Book of Oberon: A Sourcebook of Elizabethan Magic (New)
by Harms, Daniel
Publisher: Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
Binding: Hardcover with dust jacket
Book ID: 9780738743349, 0738743348
Sitting a block away from the U.S. Capitol, the Folger Shakespeare Library holds one of the most unusual manuscripts of magic ever discovered. The book was written around the year 1580, a decade before Shakespeare began writing in earnest. This is a manual of magicians in search of results, who scribbled down whatever secrets they could find.
One of the most unusual collections of magical lore ever assembled, The Book of Oberon includes:
- Rituals for summoning several different spirits, including Oberon (one of the main characters of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream), Satan, Mosacus, Birto, and others
- A ceremony to call Baron, a spirit associated with the notorious Gilles de Rais
- Several intriguing drawings of spirits and other curious beings
- A list of spirits similar to, but predating, that found in the magical manual the Goetia
- Lore and rituals for the summoning of fairies
- Pages of talismans for various purposes
- One of the oldest known copies of the magical manual The Enchiridion, said to have been given to Charlemagne by Pope Leo III
- Charms for toothache, bleeding, and the capture of thieves
- Headings and words written in cipher, most of which we have managed to decipher
- An account of a mystical brotherhood of magicians that seems to have ties to the conspiracy against the author and playwright Christopher Marlowe
The House of Owls
Yale University Press
For a quarter century, Tony Angell and his family shared the remarkable experience of closely observing pairs of western screech owls that occupied a nesting box outside their forest home. The journals the author recorded his observations in, and the captivating drawings he created, form the heart of this compelling book a personal account of an artist-naturalist s life with owls. Angell s extensive illustrations show owls engaged in what owls do hunting, courting, raising families, and exercisi...More
Jailbreaking the Goddess: A Radical Revisioning of Feminist Spirituality
Allen, Lasara Firefox
Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.
"Jailbreaking the Goddess
is an important contribution to the writings on Goddess tradition and feminist spirituality. . . . I love her political savvy, her sensitivity around issues of diversity and cultural awareness and appropriation, and her unabashed celebration of pleasure, sensuality, and life!" -- Starhawk
Jailbreaking the Goddess is a revolutionary revisioning of the feminine divine. Where the maiden, mother, crone archetypal system is tied to female biology and physic...
The Sworn Book of Honorius: Liber Iuratus Honorii
Honorius of Thebes
Ibis Press / Nicolas-Hayes
As the title testifies, students were sworn to secrecy before being given access to this magic text, and only a few manuscripts have survived. Bits of its teachings, such as the use of the magic whistle for summoning spirits, are alluded to in other texts. Another key element of its ritual, the elaborate Seal of God, has been found in texts and amulets throughout Europe.
Interest in The Sworn Book of Honorius has grown in recent years, yet no modern translations have been attemptedunt...
Beyond the Mauve Zone. Enhanced Edition.
London: Starfire Publishing, 2016. Limited Edition. A new, enhanced edition of BEYOND THE MAUVE ZONE, fully corrected by Michael Staley using Kenneth Grant's personal copy with his annotations. The volume has also been re-set, and includes a new index that should prove most useful. A FINE CLOTH COPY in illustrated dust jacket. Custom end papers. Colored frontispiece, and twenty-four page plate section with the majority of the images being in color. 324 pages, indexed. Octavo. This is the eighth,...More
The Blazing Dew of Stars
Smith, David Chaim
London: Fulgur Limited, 2013. Limited to 1001 copies only. Square landscape folio. For those who have had the joy of handling and experiencing The Sacrificial Universe
released last year, this new book will continue that fine tradition. The Blazing Dew of Stars
is a complex mystical text which speaks with many voices to introduce the practice of Kabbalistic contemplative alchemy. The volume offers glimpses of a rare view of direct application and immersion into the Real, intertwini...More